JOHN MARSHALL HIGH SCHOOL
FMSAS GENERAL MEETING #1
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2014
6:30 P.M.–8:00 P.M.
Meeting called to order at 6:42 P.M.
Quorum was established. All board members present: Peter McNulty, President; Christine Tucker, VP; Marylou Mejia, VP of Fundraising; Cindy Solovei, Treasurer; Josie Contratto, Secretary
Student Leadership Cabinet: Kenny Yamaguchi, Robina Henson, Grace Martinez
Barry Allwright, Assistant Principal; Larry Welch, SAS Coordinator;
Various SAS parents. (Sign-in sheet available.)
Introduction and opening remarks by Peter McNulty, President:
- New FMSAS website. New email communications system.
- Explained primary function and purpose of FMSAS: Mainly fundraising for educational tools, but also includes nonmonetary goals, e.g, internships for 10th, 11th graders., etc.
Communications by Christine Tucker, VP; Josie Contratto, Secretary:
- Discussed importance of maintaining effective communication between parents and school via website, email, fliers, and social media, e.g., Facebook, Twitter. Incorporating main calendar into website to include all school events.
- New website address is: FMSAS.NET
- Discussed the implementation of MailChimp as SAS’s new email communication system to announce various upcoming events, meetings, polls, etc. Will facilitate timely, relevant
Committees by Cindy Solovei, Treasuer:
- Presented members with a packet of information for proposed committees.
- Gave detailed presentation about formulation and the function of each committee. All to report to the Board of Directors (BOD)
- School Relations
- Community Relations
- Parent Support
- Encouraged members to sign-up.
Fundraising by Marylou Mejia, VP of Fundraising:
- Discussed the importance of building a stronger community with parents, students, staff, and faculty.
- Announced the Annual Fundraiser coming in October. Welcomes assistance and suggestions from parents regarding fundraising events.
SAS Program by Larry Welch, SAS Coordinator:
- Detailed discussion about the SAS program and the significance of active parent participation.
- Introduced Ms. Jigamyan, sponsor of Student Leadership Cabinet.
- Announced Mr. Klein currently working on recruitment. FMSAS tours to be scheduled during the first three weeks of November.
- Announced incidences of cheating; stressed importance of signed student-parent contracts. Reminder: Academic Committee assists students who need help. All SAS teachers provide office hours.
- FMSAS was given a small budget from GATE this school year. Professional development program for teachers, compensation for Mr. Klein’s recruitment expenses.
- Asked to reinstate Turnitin.Com plagiarism software. $1,500 site license fee per year. Also can set up group chat room for peer assessment.
PARENT FEEDBACK (OPEN DISCUSSION):
Question: What is the existing budget?
Answer: Approximately $6,000. Portion allocated to funding Ms. Novik’s request for calculators.
Further discussion about the Annual Fund Drive and setting up Paypal for convenience of monthly contribution. Discussion of suggested $50.00 amount at the beginning of the year. Those funds part of current budget. For upcoming Annual Fund Drive, amount to be decided by each family, whatever their comfort level.
Question: Can cost of Turnitin.com be prorated?
Answer: No. Yearly subscription.
Question: Last year, parents were pressured to fill out the free lunch application, but then there was no follow-up.
Answer: Application available online. Ties in with Title I money. Relevant to reduction of test fees.
Suggestion that full transparency of allocation of funds builds trust.
Question: Can donations be specified for a certain category?
Answer: Might be too difficult to effectively administrate.
Peter McNulty made a motion to adjourn; seconded by Josie Contratto. (8:00 P.M.)